Monday, August 7, 2017

Random Book Reviews

I've been absent from blogging; instead I've been reading.

Remember, I'm awful at reviews, but I will review nonetheless!

Messages David Change Mysteries #1 by Jon Michael Hileman was a slightly predictable suspense novel, but the predictability didn't disappoint, and I am interested in reading book #2. The main character would get messages from God which helped save his life, his families,  and ultimately the president's. Few could be trusted, and even the main character often would question the messages but obey.


Escape by Carolyn Jessop was a memoir of a woman who escaped FLDS polygamy. She endured such abuse, but it was culturally entrenched and leaving meant more than just exclusion or exile. A true yet scathing look into a now-famous "cult" and its people and abuses.

Baggage Claim by Aaron Davis another memoir (can you tell it is a favorite genre of mine?). I won it through a GoodReads giveaway. The story follows Aaron's struggles with a syndrome which delayed puberty and worsened his depression. He battled depression and suicidal thoughts while trying to keep up the image of family and being a pastor, but ended up in a care facility. Many pastors and people of faith struggle with mental illness, a real illness, and he separates fact from fiction and helps propose plans to battle mental illness, not just "think positive" but more step-by-step and constructive, helpful.

I'm also currently reading a handful of books.

No comments:

Post a Comment

updates

As you may see, I published my second novel and named my series (Lilies of the Field). I am so very slowly working on book #3. I'm doi...